Mark your calendars for Wednesday, September 11 for the “Seeds of Growth” conference on local agriculture and food systems, to be held in Buford, Ga. from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Our friends at the Atlanta Local Food Initiative (ALFI) recently notified Land Matters of this event. A conference description and other details are below, along with a contact for registration at the end of the post.
Interest in local food systems and sustainable agriculture has been growing in recent years. Many communities around the country have seized upon this growing interest to develop environments where local agriculture has created impressive contributions to community and economic development. “Seeds of Growth” is a conference designed to bring together key stakeholders in our area to learn about how the increasing demand for locally grown food can benefit local communities, aid economic development and become an important tool in community revitalization. If you are a city official, school cafeteria manager, or farmers market manager, you should attend this conference.
Sessions will include:
- Growing the Economy: Impact of Local Food Systems on the Local Economy
- Growing for Market: Farmers Markets and the Local Community
- Growing the Cafeteria: Farm to School Programs in Georgia
- Growing Our Reach: The State of Local Agriculture in Georgia
- Growing Cooperation: The Atlanta Local Food Initiative
- Growing the Crops: Meet the Farmers Roundtable
- Growing the Melting Pot: How Local Food Creates Diverse Communities
- Growing Visitors: How Agritourism Can Help Local Economies
Tentative speakers include:
- Kent Wolfe: Director, Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development, University of Georgia
- Erin Croom: Farm to School Coordinator-Georgia Organics
- Susan Pavlin: Executive Director-Global Growers Association
- Julie Self: Atlanta Local Food Initiative
- Alice Rolls: Executive Director-Georgia Organics
- Mary Boland: President-Georgia Agritourism Association
- Katie Cash Hayes: Executive Director-Community Farmers Markets
- Brennan Washington: Phoenix Gardens, Southern SARE
There will loads of great information to take home and a chance to win some great door prizes. Breakfast and lunch featuring some fabulous locally grown food will be served. There is no admission fee.
What: Seeds of Growth Conference
When: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 from 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Where: Gwinnett Environmental Heritage Center, 2020 Clean Water Dr., Buford, GA 30519
For more information and to register, contact: email@example.com or 404-941-0616